[lbo-talk] RNC Protests II

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Aug 29 23:09:34 PDT 2004

On Sun, Aug 29, Chuck Grimes wrote:

> It's interesting that the demo numbers are no longer estimated by news
> orgs, but given within quotes as police estimates or organizer
> estimates---as if some concrete reality could not be observed by a news
> reporters, but was simply just another debating point. Pretty slimy.

Except that in this case it led to the NYT (certainly the paper of record when it comes to a national event in its backyard) entirely endorsing the organizers' estimate on their front page:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/30/politics/campaign/30protest.html

I've never seen that before in my life. They didn't even mention an alternative estimate.

Michael