[lbo-talk] Bush's recipe for permanent war

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 12:28:04 PDT 2004

An article detailing Bush's admission that the war on terror cannot be won is here:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,10620915%255E663,00.html

[NBC's Matt Lauer asked: "Can we win it?" "I don't think you can win it," Mr Bush replied.]

ABC had a rather interesting take on his comments, though:

===== http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200408/s1188435.htm

On course US will win terrorism fight: Bush

President George W Bush is predicting that the fight against terrorism will be won within the next generation, if the United States remains resolutely on the course he has charted for the country.

The fight against terrorism has been a centrepiece of his presidency.

"When we succeed in Iraq and Afghanistan it's the beginning of the end for extremists," he told NBC television.

"I think if we are strong and resolute, it's less likely that your kids will live under the threat of Al Qaeda for a long period of time.

Mr Bush says he does not have a definite end date in mind.

[...]