[lbo-talk] biz ethics/slavery/groups/constitutional

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Aug 30 15:21:28 PDT 2004

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> But this just goes to Carrol's point that some
> dictatorships are better than others, not that Cuba isn't a
> dictatorship.

Perhaps I'll come back to the following point after I get back from my son's wedding in Venice in a couple weeks, but for now I'll just assert it as a hypothetical.

Perhaps under early 21st century world conditions the best (or at least destructive and most promising) states will not be democracies of any kind but various quasi-democratic versions of dictatorship.

Democracies under current conditions seem to move towards more ruthless and less democratic forms at home and towards the support of totalitarian regimes abroad.

I really can't see liberal bourgeois democracies surviving; the question is only what will replace them.

Carrol