[lbo-talk] handling the list

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Aug 30 19:53:43 PDT 2004

note to John T below, also:

At 10:31 PM 8/30/2004, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
>snit snat wrote:
>
>> For $20/hr, I'll read everything and give you an executive summary.
>
>I'll do it for $20/day.
>
>- Joe

heh. So you are cheap AND easy! I'll pay you $20/day and charge him $20/hr -- like that jackass in the article posted at FoRk. (Yes, I know I owe you a reply, Joe, but life has been kicking me in the head lately!) ((Sad thing is, I found out that my boss's daughter did just that. She worked for me, her dad paid her X/hr. She went off to college, farmed out the work to someone else, and paid her a couple bucks less/hr than her father was paying her!))

Outsource your job to earn more! Programmers are outsourcing their software modules to cheap and efficient labour in India. This way they get the best of both worlds- more money and more time. They earn doubly - one from the outsourced job, other from the new job they undertake.

<snip>

Says a programmer on Slashdot.org who outsourced his job: "About a year ago I hired a developer in India to do my job. I pay him $12,000 out of the $67,000 I get. He's happy to have the work. I'm happy that I have to work only 90 minutes a day just supervising the code. My employer thinks I'm telecommuting. Now I'm considering getting a second job "

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/769493.cms

At 09:54 PM 8/30/2004, John Thornton wrote:

>>Alas, the sonshine was in a terrible car accident yesterday and I'll be
>>at the hospital for the next coupla days. He's going to be fine: he was
>>wearing a seat belt and had airbags in the car. Just in a lot of pain.
>>

>>Kelley (gonna start a blog squeegee-mom.com!)
>
>Sorry to hear about the accident but glad for everyone that your son is
>going to be alright. If you don't mind an intrusive question, what
>happened in the accident? I am collecting anecdotal SUV accident reports
>for someone so I would be interested if an SUV was involved. You can tell
>me it's none of my business, since truthfully it is not, if you prefer.
>
>John Thornton

Me too: i just watched $6k swirl done the toilet. Gone. Nothing to show for it! But, every time I get depressed, trying to figure out how I'm going to earn more money so _I_can replace my beat up 1992 so I can get another job and get him another car so he can work and participate in after-school activities, I think: you can't replace a child so butch up and get over it.

Anyway, it was an accident, borne mainly of inexperience. He pulled out into traffic too early, could have saved himself but the other driver said it looked like sonshine accidentally stepped on the accelerator, instead of the brake because he sped up. Sonshine doesn't remember a thing.

The other guy was doing 55. He was driving a Dodge Durango, a new one, hit sonshine's car smack in the middle: t-boned was the word the paramedics who heliported him out of there called it. Sonshine's car was totaled, completely smashed in on the driver's side. They had to pull him out with the jaws of life on the other side which was also smashed in --though I'm not sure how that happened, whether it was from the jaws, from the impact, or from the car swinging around and hitting the other car again.

The SUV sustained minor bumper damage--the officer assessed it at about 4k of property damage if that means anything.

Also, thanks for inquiring about the flooding. We escaped from disaster on that one. It was mainly because the previous renters tried to fix the problem by banking with stones. Problem is, they just managed to create a situation where all the water piled up at the doorway to the lanai. When it rained buckets, it poured in and started encroaching on items stored in the lanai. The suck vac staved off damage until I could remove wrongs, dig a diversion ditch, and sand bag the rest.

Oh, also, that reply was a mistake. The accident happened last week, so we are actually home now. He is doing fabulously better, though staying home from school one more day to see how he feels after being out and about today. He obviously won't be playing b-ball any time soon, though. Today, though, he was actually able to walk on his own -- a little Frankensteinish, of course, but it was pretty good considering how I thought Wednesday he'd be in traction for weeks, if not months.

Coming soon: squeegee-mom.com. Just gimme a buck--or five bucks. I won't bother to throw dirty water on your car and pretend to clean your windshield. :)

Kelley

"We're in a fucking stagmire."

--Little Carmine, 'The Sopranos'