[lbo-talk] class action suits for overtime given go-ahead

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Aug 30 23:56:58 PDT 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, the LA Times was quoted to the effect that:

> http://www.latimes.com/business
> Class-Action Lawsuits for Overtime Pay Allowed
> By Maura Dolan and Lisa Girion
> Times Staff Writers
>
> August 27, 2004

<snip>

> The federal regulations, however, are expected to have little effect in
> California, which has its own labor laws.

So does this mean that state labor law overrules federal law if it's more stringent? It makes me wonder if the same situation might obtain in New York -- whether the new federal regulation might not effect us because our state regulations are stricter. Or is California for some reason unique? Any labor lawyers in the house who care to comment?

Michael