[lbo-talk] Republican parties

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Aug 31 13:12:40 PDT 2004

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>>
>> [the second item - the McCain government of national unity - is scary]
>>

>Why? Isn't that what we've had for 3 years now?

Unity? Carrol, do you read newspapers? Did you notice a little demo in NYC the other day? A major part of the U.S. population, including a significant and growing part of the ruling class, hates Bush. Opinion polls consistently reveal sharp divisions on major issues. McCain, though some trick of appearing above it all despite his reactionary politics, would paper over those differences, at least in the short term.

Why would anyone be calling for a government of national unity if the nation were united?

Doug