[lbo-talk] Soros riposte

dano dano at well.com
Tue Aug 31 19:29:08 PDT 2004

Don't know if anybody heard about Speaker Hastert saying in a tv interview that he just couldn't be sure if George Soros was a drug merchant or not, but Soros has replied and called Hastert out. This is as close to fighting words as it gets.

The accusation: <http://www.technorati.com/cosmos/search.html?rank=&sub=mtcosmos&url=http://www.boingboing.net/2004/08/31/house_speaker_soros_.html>

The challenge (links to a PDF): <http://craphound.com/soroshastert.pdf>

You do a discredit to yourself and to the dignity of your office by engaging in these dishonest smear tactics. You should be ashamed.

For the Speaker of the House of Representatives, even in the midst of an election season, to descend to a level of political discourse where innuendo and slander replace reason, truth and argument is unacceptable.

This past Sunday, on national television, you suggested that I might be a criminal simply because I have exercised my First Amendment rights to dissent from the policies of the Bush administration...

I must respectfully insist that you either substantiate these claims -- which you cannot do because they are false -- or publicly apologize for attempting to defame my character and damage my reputation.