[lbo-talk] DASCHLE AD FEATURES 'HUG'

R rhisiart at charter.net
Tue Aug 31 19:47:12 PDT 2004

Democrats: is this for real?

MON AUG 30, 2004 12:05:08 ET

DEM DASCHLE SEEKS BUSH BOOST; AD FEATURES 'HUG'

**Exclusive**

How bad has it gotten for Democrats at summer's end: A paid TV advertisement from Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle, President Bush's top congressional foe, features the South Dakotan hugging and embracing President Bush!

While Democrat party officials of all stripes decend on New York City to blast the president, Daschle has quietly purchased air time in his home state for the minute-long campaign commerical -- a commerical insiders have dubbed: "Bush Hug."

Daschle faces a tough campaign against South Dakota Republican challanger John Thune.

"This is delightful!" laughed one republican official in New York on Monday morning. "Senator Daschle now concedes supporting the president can score him votes in the fall!"

DRUDGE presents a transcript of the controverisal ad:

Announcer:

Sen. Tom Daschle: Tonight, the President has called us again to greatness, and tonight we answer that call.

Male Voice: In our country's hour of need, Tom Daschle made us proud.

Sen. Richard Durbin: Tom Daschle called us together and said, 'we have to keep this nation safe and secure.' I thought that was one of his finest moments. He really said in those moments what all of us felt, that before we are Democrats, before we are Republicans, we're Americans.

Sen. Carl Levin: Tom Daschle has a great inner strength and toughness, which is why Tom is such a great leader.

Male Voice: Senator Daschle helped forge a consensus to rebuild our military.

Headline: Daschle: Time to Unite Behind Troops, Bush

On Screen: Daschle and President Bush hug on House floor.

Male Voice: Tom won significant increases in homeland security and helped provide law enforcement new tools to track down terrorists.

Headline: Daschle, mayors pitch homeland security

Headline: Daschle Calls For More Body Armor For S.D. Soldiers in Iraq

Male Voice: And no one has done more to get our troops the equipment they need or ensure our veterans are taken care of when they return home.

Headline: Sen. Daschle receives 'Unsung Hero' award from American Legion

Daschle: I'm Tom Daschle and I approve this ad, because a strong military and a strong America is the best way to fight terrorism.

END

http://www.drudgereportarchives.com/data/2004/08/30/20040830_233802_dnc69.htm