[lbo-talk] Re: meat for 9/11 conspiracists]

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Tue Aug 31 22:36:56 PDT 2004

> > I object to conspiracy theory because promulgating it (like
> throwing the
> > word "fascism" around) tends to deflect from the nature of
> capitalism
> > and of the fundamental policies of capitalist states. The charge
> > "fascist" against Bush or the charge of administration
> conspiracy in the
> > case of 9/11 (or of CIA involvement in the assassination of John
> > Kennedy) have the _material_ effect of giving aid and comfort to
> the
> > Democratic Party and to the arguments of those who claim that
> capitalism
> > is the best system but is corrupted by! bad people in one way or
> another.

I understand what you're getting at, but I don't understand how wanting to know what actually happened is nothing but "conspiracism". I would like to know what happened. I don't agree that this desire and the pursuit of a true account necessarily translates into "aid and comfort" to the Democrats. The Democrats are, after all, as complicit in the secrecy as the Repubs.

> The exposure of the Watergate conspiracy was _one_ of the factors
> in the
> > steady rout of the left after 1974.

Yeah....and?

Surely, as a materialist, it ought to matter to you what the material truth is? Otherwise we're all just madly pursuing the logic of ideas. No?

Joanna