[lbo-talk] Challenge for leftists of all stripes

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Wed Dec 1 08:50:48 PST 2004

> My whole point is that a corp is an institutionalized version of Mr
> Moneybags, and both will behave in pretty similar fashion. I don't
> understand what the corp personhood crowd sees as an alternative to
> the corporate form. If it's some sort of semi-socialized hybrid form,
> in which public benefit somehow is supposed to co-exist with profit
> maximization, then we're not talking legal reform, we're talking
> serious political transformation. I don't think the personhood people
> really understand this.
>
> Doug

One of my favorite quotations from Baran and Sweezy's classic, _Monopoly Capital_, says that the modern big business corporation is simply a better, more rational capitalist, with immensely greater knowledge and much longer time horizons.

The personhood attackers are kind of like the "Let's count social costs in GDP" folks. Super idea, with no chance of actually happening, barring a revolution.