[lbo-talk] Investigating the Future

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 1 15:02:50 PST 2004

I'm working with some people at Pacifica, Indymedia and New College to put together the following seminar. This is an FYI for those of you in the 415/510/707 area codes and beyond.

_________

Investigating the Future: Pacifica and Indymedia Seminar Dec. 3,4,5 2004

http://www.digitaltheater.newcollege.edu/moodle/course/view.php?id=9

Friday Night: Opening Session 7pm

After 11/2/2004 Military who refuse: Jeff Patterson, ex Marine who refused induction to Iraq, organizer "Not in Our Name" Independent newscasters: M.T. Karthik, Pacifica’s U.S. Elections Coverage Coordinator

Saturday Morning: 9:30am

How can we expand Pacifica and Independent media's reach: What has worked? Democracy Now!: a model for growth? - Denis Moynihan, DN! Outreach Director & Ana Nogueira, Co-founder New York City Indymedia Center and DN! Producer Free Speech Radio News: How did its structure emerge and what changes are underway? Is there another great technological leap on the horizon after MP3? - Mic, FSRN Producer and Low Power FM radio activist (confirmed) LA Sound Posse: What outreach and organizing efforts are occurring out of KPFK? - Dave Adelson Enemy Combatant Radio, SF Bay Indymedia - Mark B. KPFA General Manager: Roy Companella

Saturday Noon: The seminar will host two international tele-panels. The first a meeting of internationally known intellectuals and critics, the second, a first ever international teleconference between community radio networks in the US, Latin America, and Europe. These conference calls will take place using free, open source telephony software called Skype (Mac OS X, PC, Linux) and include simultaneous text based translation.

Panel One: What can we as a community of nations, independent thinkers and activists, what should we do about the problem we face with this growing empire that wants to be bigger and better than the Roman empire? What can we do for the preservation of culture, resources, the welfare of the planet and the people in it? USA: Pacifica Radio FRANCE: Ignacio Ramonet, Editor of Le Monde Diplomatique.(invited) MEXICO: Carlos Montemayor, author, journalist, political analyst and columnist for La Jornada. QATAR: Al-Jazeera (invited) Panel Two: How can the Pacifica Radio Network link up with the networks participating in this panel to have a freer faster information flow outside the mainstream media? What previous projects have you engaged in? What have been the results? How can we immediately began? USA: Pacifica Radio ARGENTINA: Rodrigo Tornero, member of the Buenos Aires-based FM La Tribu radio collective. ECUADOR: Alar, continental network of community radio stations, daily broadcasters, Mario Villalobos, journalist. SPAIN: Rafael Cuesta, member of the Madrid-based Red Con Voz radio collective. THE NETHERLANDS: Radio Netherlands (invited)

see more info at: http://www.digitaltheater.newcollege.edu/moodle/course/view.php?id=9 _________________________