[lbo-talk] Altruism & Evolution?

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Dec 1 15:00:05 PST 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Miles Jackson" <cqmv at pdx.edu>
> Thus making up a story about how X must have led to reproductive success
in the past--whether
> X is a physical body part or a psychological trait--is interesting, but
it's not really science.

If by "not science" you mean "not sometimes almost certainly true," I don't know how you can think of yourself as a Darwinian. As Charles (Brown; not Darwin) noted, we sometimes are lucky enough to watch natural selection at work, but not very often, and not at all prior to the 20th century (unless you consider "artificial" selection to be a sort of natural selection).

-- Luke