[lbo-talk] CBS, NBC ban church ad inviting gays

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 05:34:55 PST 2004

CBS and NBC have a policy of not running ads that "take sides on controversial issues." ABC has a policy of not running religious ads.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/01/news/fortune500/jesus_ad_ban/index.htm?cnn=yes

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - The CBS and NBC Networks have refused to run an ad by a liberal church promoting the acceptance of people regardless of sexual orientation because the networks believe the ad is advocacy advertising.

The 30-second spot, run by the United Church of Christ, features two muscle-bound bouncers standing outside a church, selecting people who could attend service and those who could not. Among those kept out are two males who appear to be a couple. Written text then appears saying, in part, "Jesus didn't turn people away, neither do we."

[...]

"We find it disturbing that the networks in question seem to have no problem exploiting gay persons through mindless comedies or titillating dramas, but when it comes to a church's loving welcome of committed gay couples, that's where they draw the line."

===== "I'm not too worried by hegemony / I know the cadre will look after me" - Magazine, "Model Worker," 1978