[lbo-talk] Hitch to lecture at West Point

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Dec 2 14:13:49 PST 2004

New York Post [Page Six] - December 2, 2004

SCRIBE GETS TO THE POINT

BILIOUS Brit writer Christopher Hitchens has been asked to lecture U.S. military officers-in-training at West Point. The Vanity Fair columnist, a reformed leftist who backed George Bush's re-election and who now supports the war on terror, will be speaking at the famed military academy on the subject of "Iraq, Afghanistan and democracy in both places," he tells PAGE SIX. Hitchens, who attacks the likes of Bill Clinton, Martha Stewart, Michael Moore, Mel Gibson and Mayor Bloomberg in his new book, "Love, Poverty and War," says he was very surprised by the invitation. "I thought, 'Surely the U.S. military can't be in that much trouble,'" he quips. "Is it a great country, or what? Actually, I think it's an honor, especially now. This is the next generation of American officers." Hitchens says the academy offered him a "nominal" fee for the lecture, which he has asked to be donated to a fund for soldiers' widows and orphans.