[lbo-talk] Re: Marketing Dork & Unemployed Pride

Tom Walker timework at telus.net
Thu Dec 2 20:14:51 PST 2004

Woody Guthrie__ was unemployed and broke in 1941when the Bonneville Power Authority offered him the princely sum of $266.66 to write a song a day for the soundtrack of a documentary film about the dams on the Columbia River. He wrote 26 songs, so I suppose he got Sundays off. Works out to about ten bucks and a quarter a song.

One of those $10 songs was Roll On, Columbia, the official state song of the state of Washington. But I'm not posting to talk about Washington or Woody Guthrie. I'm posting about Whiskeytown and John F. Kennedy.

What did JFK say at Whiskeytown? Part of it was these words here:/ "As machines take more and more of the jobs of men, we are going to find the workweek reduced, and we are going to find people wondering what they should do."/ But for the rest of what he said and a little context to it, you'll just have to come visit the Work Less Institute of Technology and read "Your power is turning our darkness to dawn.": http://worklessparty.org/wlitblog/archives/000664.html

The Sandwichman