[lbo-talk] Wal-Mart

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 2 22:14:27 PST 2004

>On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 23:22:30 -0500, Jon Johanning wrote:
>
> > I don't know how many times I've heard the last few days about Wal-Mart
> > playing the role that Ford did back in the 1910s, as the leading US
> > corporation. If a giant corporation either made or sold condoms for
> > shtupping pigs and did it as impressively as Wal-Mart rakes in the
> > dough, it would be on the front cover of The Economist, too.
>

>Wasn't Ford famous for paying good wages and equal wages to african
>americans or am I spouting idealistic apocrypha?
>
>Eugene Vilensky

They certainly tell everyone at the Henry Ford museum this but they do neglect to mention the birthday cards to Hitler. At least all the times I've been there this was true. Once a guide there said Ford wasn't really anti-semitic but simply allowed his accountant to "sway" his judgement in that direction from time to time. Of course several times his obstinacy and unwillingness to listen to others was also stressed.

John Thornton