[lbo-talk] Wal-Mart

Jon Johanning zenner41 at mac.com
Fri Dec 3 07:27:21 PST 2004

On Dec 3, 2004, at 1:02 AM, John Thornton wrote:

> Ford paid higher wages than the average at the time. Wal-Mart pays
> lower wages than average. Other than corporate bigness I don't see any
> similarities between the two. How is Wal-Mart the new Ford?

Sorry for the ambiguity -- I meant Ford the company, not the man. (Though Ford the man was no saint, of course.) That is, Wal-Mart is being praised as the leading model of a company for today, as the Ford company had that role in the early 20th century.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________ Politics, as a practice, whatever its professions, has always been the systematic organization of hatreds. (Henry Adams, "The Education of Henry Adams")