[lbo-talk] America's image problem, edited by Blumenthal

RE earnest at tallynet.com
Fri Dec 3 10:57:00 PST 2004

Said's last taboo is operative: in all of Blumenthal's summary, no mention of the Palestinians or Israel. He even edits out Israel in one of the passages he cites. Blumenthal writes:

"Muslims do not 'hate our freedom,' but rather, they hate our policies." The "dramatic narrative since 9/11" of the "war on terrorism," etc.

On page 48 of the report he's filtering:

"Muslims do not "hate our freedom," but rather, they hate our policies. The overwhelming majority voice their objections to what they see as one-sided support in favor of Israel and against Palestinian rights, and the longstanding, even increasing support for what Muslims collectively see as tyrannies, most notably Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Pakistan, and the Gulf states."

Randy