[lbo-talk] US employment

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Dec 3 11:49:45 PST 2004

This morning's U.S. employment report was pretty sucky. Not disastrous, but 112k is a disappointing. Only a handful of sectors added significant numbers. Manufacturing shrank for the third month in a row, and retail fell. The average hourly wage was up just a penny, and it looks like year-to-year real wages are down by more than 1% - the worst performance since 1991. The survey of households looked better, but the survey of employers is more reliable. We're now 9.7 million jobs below where we'd be in a "normal" recovery.

Doug