[lbo-talk] Marketing Dork & Unemployed Pride

Joel Wendland joelrw at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 3 12:17:41 PST 2004

>Carrol Cox wrote:
>
>>Articles in
>>the Nation or Against the Current, no matter how beautifully clear or
>>how wonderful their content, are not going to reach the bulk of the
>>unemployed.

This is an interesting point. I don't think the Nation bills itself asa publication in the thick of working class struggle -- though it is -- as Against the Current does. I like ATC alot, but don't always agree with them editorially.

At any rate, the statement above, if true, might make the case for re-evaluating the marxist concept of parties (is Solidarity a party?--again, a group of people Ihave a lot of respect for) bringing revolutionary ideas to the people or the class. At least it calls for asking who finds their articles beautifully clear and why we don't think they appeal to workers. If print publications (and online publications) still have value for class struggle, what has to be done to make them reach working (and unemployed people)? Perhaps being in the vanguard isn't equal to saying the correct things in "revolution-speak" or in what we assume is the correct manner because od some pre-conceived notion that using more strategic langauge and idioms is some how a service to the ruling class.

Just a thought.

Joel Wendland