[lbo-talk] lbo-talk] Wal-Mart

Jim Westrich westrich at nodimension.com
Fri Dec 3 13:57:08 PST 2004

I once walked into a 24hour Wal-Mart superstore at 11:55 pm in central Maine (I was hungry and this was the only thing open for miles). I got a few snacks and went to the cash register. With just one person ahead of me in line, the checkout person nicely explained to the first person in line that "the computer" would be down for a few minutes. No one actually closed the lines or actually made any announcement, so I assumed it was a short term thing. We waited and waited--the workers were amazingly non-chalant about the situation, only saying that all the (now previous) days receipt had to be fed into some "central computer" somewhere. Every few minutes someone would get disgusted and loudly leave (with never an apology nor any formal reaction from any of the Walmart workers). Anyway I waited a full half hour (adding to the surrealness of the scene was that I had just seen the Japanese movie "Eureka!" which to say the least is a very powerful and long cinematic experience and it was still residually playing tricks on my brain).

The most interesting thing was that while all of the Walmart workers seemed liked really nice people and they all seemed like they wanted to apologize or commiserate with the dozen or so people waiting but they oddly NEVER spoke of it. Worst of all, of course, was that no one gave me any idea how long it was going to take-- my sadly naive assumption was that if it was going to be a while they would let us know. It was like being in dysfunctional family with no one talking about a huge crisis as it happened. I have no idea if the half hour was "normal" for all 24 hour Walmarts or just those in far away Maine or if this was an unusually slow day; but it was obvious that these people were rather strictly trained to ignore any potential impatience.

No one questioned the wisdom of a business practice of inconveniencing a half hours worth of customers either.

Jim

All the orange boxes are scattered. We get to Safeway's supermarket in the rain. And everybody feels so determined Not to feel anyone else's pain.

(You know that) No one's making no commitments To anybody but themselves, Hidin' behind closed doorways, Tryin' to get outside, outside of empty shells

--Van Morrison