[lbo-talk] Re: Marketing Dork & Unemployed Pride

Brian Charles Dauth magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Fri Dec 3 18:19:49 PST 2004

Dear List:

Bill asks:

> So, for instance, if a person is "deformed" by a "raging personal
desire" to meditate as much as possible, that person would not care

if she was unemployed?

As long as her/his material needs were met and, therefore, s/he were able to indulge whatever fetish/desire s/he had, being unemployed would not cause any bother.

> In fact that person would seek to work as little as possible so she could
devote more time to meditation?

Sadly, yes. Meditation can become a fetish just as any behavior can. Desire can easily trump equanimity without discipline.

> In fact, I know someone like that. He's a Buddhist of course. I think

it's a bit strong to call his personal philosophy "deformed" though. Would you mind explaining that?

It is deformed since it causes deviation from the middle path. Even Buddhist practice must avoid extremes. When satisfaction of desire trumps equanimity you get Republicanism.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister