[lbo-talk] Bush plans to cut Medicare and Medicaid

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Dec 4 10:20:04 PST 2004

John Lacny quoted the WSJ:

>"Show me the money," says Alec Vachon, a Republican consultant. "Where is
>there any kind of substantial Medicare savings that can make a serious
>impact on the deficit? Ten billion dollars, what does that buy you? That's
>lunch at La Colline," a restaurant on Capitol Hill.

That'd be one nice lunch, but he's right - there's just not enough to cut in Medicare to make much of a dent in the deficit. They're dreaming if they think otherwise - and they'd have seniors and the medical-industrial complex against them. The second Bush admin is going to get mighty interesting.

Doug