[lbo-talk] 'Master/slave' Most Politically Incorrect Phrase

Samuel Waite haymarket326 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 4 16:59:07 PST 2004

Yeah, I think they're really grasping at straws. The "master/slave" thing is the only one on the list that struck me as kind of silly, and it was met with public opposition -- thus undermining the Right's claims of PC hysteria.

Particularly irritating to me was the suggestion that "insurgents" and "terrorists" are interchangeable, and that "terrorist" isn't itself politically loaded.

Something like "waitron", though admittedly it sounding a bit silly, sounds more to me like a result of finding something more convenient than "waiter or waitress", just like "Congressperson".

"Progressive" and "incurious" are in fact not euphemisms, but are different, I would argue, from "liberal" and "stupid". And I don't know why "higher being" should be seen as more appropriate than "God".