[lbo-talk] Crunch time for US capitalism?

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at rogers.com
Sun Dec 5 06:29:05 PST 2004

> Crunch time for US capitalism?
> December 04, 2004
> By Patrick Bond
>
> If you are like many aggrieved people I know, the prospect of the US
> economic empire stumbling, tripping, and maybe even crashing is welcome
> indeed.
>
> So cheer up, it seems like comeuppance season has dawned.
--------------------------------- In an otherwise useful summary of Marxist crisis theory, this is a statement only a comfortable academic could make. A US crash would inflict great misery on working people in the US and other advanced capitalist countries and even greater misery on the impoverished masses in developing countries. There's no assurance all these broken eggs would result in a satisfying omelette, either; there is no longer even a coherent left or self-conscious working class as there was in the 30s. Perhaps these will reappear, perhaps not. In any case, great change, whenever it has occured, has been accompanied by great pain, which should temper any exultation at the "prospect".

MG