[lbo-talk] Working-class Academics

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sun Dec 5 20:30:00 PST 2004

I'm guessing here that the xtra money is going to the top administrators and collegiate sports. It is most definitely NOT going to teaching staff. There are a handful of academics making "star" salaries -- like six figure salaries -- there was an article in the New Yorker a few years ago about how Stanley Fish was building up a stable of them somewhere...John Hopkins???? It doesn't matter.

The point is, more and more academics are turning into tomato pickers -- temporary, floating teaching staff kept going by the carrot of permanent status. Until they learn to hang together (and with the students), they will most certainly hang separately.

Joanna