[lbo-talk] Refugee status for US deserter?

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 6 13:44:18 PST 2004

I would vote yes with the caveat that any US citizen who was fleeing the repressive regime at home should be granted the same right. Most military personnel who want a discharge can get it but not if they make a stink about why they want out and how wrong the war is. Get your "Other Than Honorable" discharge and then agitate with anti-war protestors but not before. The military does not want people who refuse to go along and are happy to rid themselves of the problem, unless it is someone highly trained like a doctor or pilot or high ranking officer. Someone they have spent big bucks on and want a return on that investment. If you call attention to your reasons for wanting out that attention cuts both ways and the military does not want to be seen as weak. Go quietly and you can go for the most part.

John Thornton