[lbo-talk] Jamie Galbraith: Apocalypse Not Yet...

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Mon Dec 6 15:44:32 PST 2004

"A change in European policy-toward a high-growth, full employment Keynesianism-could bring a decisive shift in the world balance of economic power. Such a shift would create profits in Europe (where there presently are few), attracting capital. It would open up a European current account deficit, where there is presently a surplus. Soon the euro would not be a scarce currency any longer, and the reduction of the dollar's reserve status could truly get underway. Unfortunately for Europeans, European policymakers don't see-and won't seize-this opportunity. Frankly, they are too reactionary and too stupid. That's a tragedy for Europe, though in some ways it's undeserved good luck for the United States."

I don't get this option. Isn't everyone sitting on their cash hoard and not investing because we are in a crisis of over-accumulation? If Europe goes to full employment (more production)...who is going to buy their stuff?

Joanna