[lbo-talk] smoking demographics

Jim Westrich westrich at nodimension.com
Tue Dec 7 07:53:00 PST 2004

The CDC does the largest annual survey in the world (250,000+ respondants) about health related behavior. The Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (catchy!) asks a more interesting question about smoking and gives a four part answer (smoke daily, 16.7%, smoke sometimes, 5.0; used to smoke, 25.2;never smoked, 52.1). They also break it down by state or large city, income (smoking is more prominent amongst the poor), race, education, age,and gender. But they do not do political affiliation like Gallup.

http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/brfss/display.asp?cat=TU&yr=2003&qkey=4394&state=US

A truly underutilized gem.

Jim

Quoting Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>:

> <http://www.gallup.com/poll/content/default.aspx?ci=14257>
>
> Americans' Opinions About Smoking

"Tell me, tell me What have I done wrong? Ain't nothing go right with me Must be I've been smoking too long."

--Nick Drake