[lbo-talk] Publishing on the Left

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Dec 7 15:25:06 PST 2004

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>It would be interesting to hear from you, Doug, John Mage, Dave
>>Finkel, etc. about who reads the publications they edit and what
>>sort of feedback they get from their audiences.
>>--
>
>As far as I can tell, the kinds of people who read LBO have a lot in
>common with the Nation's audience, though probably more intellectual
>and more left. There are some exceptions, for sure - I get mail from
>subscribers who are self-educated workers without high-priced
>educations who appreciate the translation of the arcana of political
>economy in to reasonably clear prose. But I think most of my readers
>are pretty highly educated. I look to the radio show to reach a more
>popular audience.
>
>The feedback is usually of a very high quality - very thoughtful,
>well-informed, and engaged. It's very gratifying.
>
>Doug

Have you ever done a Left Business Observer reader survey, to evaluate readers' incomes, occupations, educational attainments, genders, races, ages, political self-identifications, political activities in which they are involved, purposes to which they put the Left Business Observer, other publications they buy and/or read, websites they regularly visit, etc.? Maybe you can use the data for better marketing.

Yoshie