[lbo-talk] Vicious Circle (Publishing on the Left)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Dec 8 08:37:08 PST 2004

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> martin mschiller at pobox.com, Tue Dec 7 16:45:44 PST 2004,
> [lbo-talk] Publishing on the Left (Marketing Dork & Unemployed Pride):
> >On Dec 7, 2004, at 1:17 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> >
> >>Everyone knows there are very few revolutionaries in the U.S. Why
> >>is that, and can anything be done about it? If you don't address
> >>those questions, who cares what you think?
> >
> >I thought that everyone knew that there are very few revolutionaries
> >in the us because there is no clearly articulated compelling
> >strategy for revolution. Everybody just rolls their own.

If you don't yourself (speaking to either Martin or Doug) want a revolution, why do you care whether anyone provides you with a revolutionary strategy?

If you do want a revolution, go to work yourself both in laying out that strategy and in implementing it.

If I want to arrange a couple days in Chicago with my brother and his wife, I do the arranging (the strategizing) with my brother and his wife, not with Denver aldermen or printshop employees of the London Review of Books. The same general principle applies to discussing revolutionary strategy. One discusses it with people who share the same goal, and who exhibit that both by making theoretical suggestions themselves and linking those suggestions to organizing work they themselves are doing in their own local community.

Carrol