[lbo-talk] Back in the belly of the beast

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Dec 8 09:10:28 PST 2004

Joanna & Kelley:

It is very nice to hear that you guys missed me. It actually made my day (that post-return depression is one of those few certain things, besides death and taxes). It may sound terribly geeky, but I consider lbo-ers my only friends - at least in the old fashioned sense, when friends were considered someone to have an intelligent conversation. Not much of that is going on in the real world, even in the academia, at least in this country.

As to my comments on free trade and globalization - this seems to be working for many developing countries - it seems to be lifting their economies, at least vis a vis their "local" standards, and bringing goods and services that they consider a good life, even if it is a Starbucks or a Hooters. So why not supporting this trend?

Yesterday, I read the last issue of The Nation magazine in which some twenty or so left-of-the centre US intellectuals offered their vision (or rather lack thereof) on the future of the US politics. It was quite clear to me that these people cannot see past their own navel and do not have much new to offer. What they proposed was either platitudes (organize!) or fight the battles of the past (defend social security and suburban life styles). Only two authors alluded to international issues by pointing out the increasing role of Hispanics in the US system. But everything they said had a distinct US-centric perspective that propelled Bush to power.

Missing from that intellectual masturbation was an international context. The US may rattle its saber but it is painfully obvious that it cannot do much with it anymore besides bullying a few isolated Third World countries. That is an obvious lesson from Iraq.

But besides that, this country is a socially and politically backward but pampered country that enjoyed a privileged position as a windfall from World War II - and now is losing that cozy place, slowly but surely. On the other hand, countries like India or China, while not exactly beacons of democracy, are on the rise, at least economically.

I think that we are in a unprecedented situation that the world can make the US economy scream - to borrow a phrase form that fascist swine Henry Kissinger. Twenty five years ago, the only time the US establishment listened was when countries like China dispatched their troop to another country. Today they listen - and tremble - when China issues Euro-denominated bonds.

Foreign investors can turn off the spigots that funds US government deficit spending without foregoing their returns, and foreign manufacturers control the flow of goodies on which most US-esers depend in their every day life. They do not have to poison the US food supplies - as the moronic fucks in the US media and government claim - all they need to do is what OPEC is already doing - control the supply and jack up the prices to make the pampered US-ers cry "uncle."

It seems obvious, therefore, that the key to change in the obnoxious US politics and behavior lies in the world and international cooperation. It needs more coordination, more international hand-holding, but the basic stuff is already there. One would that expect that progressive intellectuals and activists, with natural penchant for internationalism (at least in the past), would propose a course of action that bursts US exceptionalism engages the world to change the rotten core of US politics at home. But what we hear, at least on the pages of The Nation, is more of the same old crap, defend social security, mobilize the minorities, get in touch with 'the people', yada yada yada.

I think one can have a bigger influence on US domestic policies by deliberately avoiding buying US products or spending one's money overseas than an army or earnest fools who organize a signature drive to petition the US government. Money talks, bullshit walks. If you want to change the US polity, make the US economy scream. And for the first time in the post World War II history - the world is in a position to actually do that. This should be the map and the compass of any serious progressive effort in this country - everything else is crutch-walking.

Wojtek