[lbo-talk] Back in the belly of the beast

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Wed Dec 8 15:24:26 PST 2004

> Michael Dawson:
> > But, you know, of course, that free trade and outsourcing are not
> usually
> > ways of transferring productive resources to other areas.
>
> Why not? What is wrong with creating hi tech and mfg jobs in developing
> countries? These countries benefit from such transfers in many ways, from
> reducing unemployment, to development of skilled labor force, to influx of
> money to local economies, and to the acquisition of technical expertise.
> These are tangible benefits.

Spoken like the IMF. If this is your theory of economic development, one wonders why you are hanging out on Left Business Observer. Your model is already in force.

> Are there any theoretical or otherwise arguments that these benefits are
> illusory rather than real? Would you think that these nations were better
> off by not producing for export? What are their other options - servicing
> the tourists from the First World?

Personally, I'm in favor of spreading a sustainable, diverse set of industries to each country, so that each can choose when it wants to engage in trade, and so that production for export is not the primary basis for domestic well-being. I'm also in favor of direct global economic redistribution. I'm in favor of debt forgiveness. I'm in favor of democratic local state control by of things like oil, ala Chavez in VZ.

Everybody producing for export to the already-rich countries causes 3rd World nations to underbid one another. Do you read the newspapers?

> Nice try, though.
> > Your fidelity to misanthropy is just as strong as your infidelity to
> > ordinary people.
> I do not remember swearing any allegiance to anyone but my current wife,
> so
> I am not sure what infidelity you have in mind. Who are 'ordinary people'
> anyway?

> Wojtek

You know: The 95-98 percent of the world's people who aren't rich.