[lbo-talk] New Book

T Fast tfast at yorku.ca
Wed Dec 8 16:46:00 PST 2004

Hey all,

Given Doug's shameless self-promotion of his books (of which I will remind him I bought two) I thought it ok that I should advertise an edited book which is coming out in January in which I have a contribution.

DescriptionThough the emerging sub-discipline of comparative political economy is now rich in studies of different advanced capitalisms, it still lacks a systematic consideration of the organizing frameworks and methodologies underpinning those studies. This definitive volume outlines the two great debates currently shaping the analysis of advanced capitalism. This book makes the case for a greater awareness of underlying theoretical issues in the design of empirical research, and demonstrates the value of exploring the interconnections between competing intellectual approaches.

Contents Introduction Paradigms of Explanation; D.Coates PART 1: THE APPROACHES EXPLAINED Measuring Capitalism: Output, Growth and Economic Policy; M.Kitson Beyond Bone Structure: Historical Institutionalism and the Style of Economic Growth; C.J.Martin Contesting the 'New Capitalism'; G.Albo PART 2: THE APPROACHES APPLIED Economic Growth and the United States since 1870: A Quantitative Economic Analysis Incorporating Institutional Factors; S.Broadberry Two Can Play at That Game.Or Can They? Varieties of Capitalism, Varieties of Institutionalism; C.Hay The Politics of a Miracle: Class Interests and State Power in Korean Developmentalism; V.Chibber Euro-Capitalism and American Empire; L.Panitch & S.Gindin PART 3: THE APPROACHES EVALUATED Varieties and Commonalities of Capitalism; J.Pontusson The United States in the Post-War Global Political Economy: Another Look at the Brenner Debate; M.Konings The Capitalist Economy 1945-2000: A Reply to Konings, and to Panitch and Gindin; R.Brenner Disparate Models, Desperate Measures: The Convergence of Limits; T.Fast Conclusion List of Contributors Bibliography Author BiographiesDAVID COATES is Worrell Professor of Anglo-American Studies, Wake Forest University.

http://www.palgrave.com/products/Catalogue.aspx?is=1403918864 -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20041208/803245c2/attachment.htm>