[lbo-talk] Why Jews Hate Republicans, Part XVIV

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Thu Dec 9 15:49:22 PST 2004

I don't think anybody in that list would deny that all people have agency and some proportion of responsibility for the state of the nation and world. But it's a question of relative power and responsibility. To emphasize the power and responsibility of the powerful is not to deny that little people make the world, too. On the contrary. The idea is to document the selfishness and unfairness and harmfulness of those who wield more power than others, so that the littles can get together and redress the problem.

Meanwhile, I don't cotton much to dismissals of the population as a whole because some people watch O'Reilly. If the same pattern holds when Noam Chomsky's "Turning the Tide" show is on a major network everyday (which, of course, will be never) like O'Loofa's is, then I'll think about buying your nihilism. Meanwhile, I prefer (based on experience teaching and talking about Chomsky and other good stuff) to believe that there's lots of reason for hope about commoners, if only we can crack the system apart somehow.