[lbo-talk] DADT

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Dec 10 06:53:12 PST 2004

Doug:
> This just in from my friend Ken Sherrill, chair of the Hunter College
> poli sci department... Interesting pattern in "Don't Ask Don't Tell"
> discharges of same-sexers from the military: up during the Clinton
> years, down during Bush's. Guess they need the queers as cannon
> fodder.
>
> 1994 617
> 1995 772
> 1996 870
> 1997 1,007
> 1998 1,163
> 1999 1,046
> 2000 1,241
> 2001 1,273
> 2002 906
> 2003 787

Or that they are running out of queers to be purged. These number total to 9,682 queers purged between 1994 and 2003, or about 1% of the total military personnel (as of 1997).

Although the number of homosexuals is not known, various estimates http://www.leaderu.com/marco/special/spc11b.html put at 1 - 3% of the population. Assuming that gays are underrepresented in the military for obvious reasons - these 9,682 purged souls may represent nearly the entire queer population in the valiant US armed forces.

Wojtek