[lbo-talk] Class (Was ReWhy Jews Hate Republicans, Part XVIV)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 10 07:48:42 PST 2004

So Woj collapses into interest group pluralism. How sad. The social group of persons who owns most of the productive assets would applaud this move -- who was it who said the Devil's greatest achievement was to convince us that he does not exist?

The kernel of truth in Woj's baby-with-the-bathwater-dumping here is the point that the old man made long ago talking about the French peasantry -- without social ties, common political culture, shared organization, and class consciousness, a group of people with a similar position with respect to the means of production are just like potatoes in a sack.

As Woj ought to know perfectly well, this issue has been among the most heavily discussed on the left and among Marxists for 150 years. People like Erik Olin Eright have made whole careers of studying it.

What Woj and all the other anti-class theorists miss is (a) even mere objective class structure is still primarily determinative of more about society than anything else (and explains a lot), and (b) those other factors do become effective now and then, resulting in vast social mobilizations.

Actually right now, as Thomas Franks has been pointing out, as the Democrats have abandoned the language of class, the GOP has clever picked it up, forging a (false) class consciouness of working people against liberal elites. Give up the notion of class, we'll never get those people back.

jks