[lbo-talk] Class (Was ReWhy Jews Hate Republicans, Part XVIV)

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Fri Dec 10 10:37:02 PST 2004

One wonders how you use class in your real work if this is how sloppy you are with it here...

Of course class doesn't explain everything.

Of course the U.S. working class is huge and complicated and unorganized.

Neither of those facts alter the reality that some people can live off the economic surplus without working, the majority has virtually no claim on the economic surplus, and there is an appreciable "middle" that has to work but gets enough surplus to be very, very comfortable, and that all three of these life-situations have profound influences on individual and group activity.

And Skocpol is wrong. "Machine politics" are dead. The only machine now operating is Big Money, a.k.a., the ruling class, the vested interests, absentee ownership.