[lbo-talk] Famous Atheist drops the "A" letter

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Dec 11 05:58:19 PST 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:22:55 -0500 Jon Johanning <zenner41 at mac.com> writes:
> Something seems to happen to these British no-nonsense philosophers
> as
> time passes. A. J. Ayer famously had a near-death experience which
> may
> or may not have led him to reconsider his anti-theology stance
> (accounts seem to differ).

Concerning that, I think that much of the controversy over Ayer stems from the accounts given by the attending physician, Dr. Jeremy George who claims that upon awakening, after his hear-stoppage, Ayer said, "I saw a Divine Being. I'm afraid I'm going to have to revise all my various books and opinions." He may well have said such a thing but it is apparent that upon reflection, he did not think that the experience that he had when he was clinically dead required any sort of a fundamental revision concerning his beliefs in the non-existence of a God and of an afterlife.

Ayer's account "What I saw when I was dead" can be dound online at:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1282/is_n20_v40/ai_6701958