[lbo-talk] Re:theism vs atheism:the two party system

Jon Johanning zenner41 at mac.com
Sun Dec 12 08:55:46 PST 2004

On Dec 12, 2004, at 11:24 AM, Chris Doss wrote:

> I think it was Hume who pointed out some time ago
> that, even if the universe shows that it has been
> "designed," it does not follow that the designer was
> "intelligent". Spiders "design" webs. Beavers "design"
> dams. DNA "designs" cells.
>
> Ascribing "intelligence" to God is anthropomorphic anyway.

Yes, I've always liked Hume's "God as a super-spider" joke. The guy had a fabulous sense of humor.

But I just can't fathom the "intelligent designer" concept when it is presented as some sort of "scientific" hypothesis. None of these folks seem to be able to explain just how this "designing" happens. Must be another joke.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org _____________________________ "Simply by being human we do not have a common bond. For all we share with all other humans is the same thing we share with all other animals -- the ability to feel pain." -- Richard Rorty