[lbo-talk] The "A" lives, apparently

Kevin Robert Dean Qualiall at Adelphia.Net
Sun Dec 12 20:37:29 PST 2004

Looks like the media had a bit of a field day with the Flew story, but the letter "A" is still strong in old Tony....

http://www.secweb.org/asset.asp?AssetID=138

Sorry to Disappoint, but I'm Still an Atheist! by Antony Flew

Richard C. Carrier, current Editor in Chief of the Secular Web, tells me that "the internet has now become awash with rumors" that I "have converted to Christianity, or am at least no longer an atheist." Perhaps because I was born too soon to be involved in the internet world I had heard nothing of this rumour. So Mr. Carrier asks me to explain myself in cyberspace. This, with the help of the Internet Infidels, I now attempt.

Those rumours speak false. I remain still what I have been now for over fifty years, a negative atheist. By this I mean that I construe the initial letter in the word 'atheist' in the way in which everyone construes the same initial letter in such words as 'atypical' and 'amoral'. For I still believe that it is impossible either to verify or to falsify - to show to be false - what David Hume in his Dialogues concerning Natural Religion happily described as "the religious hypothesis." The more I contemplate the eschatological teachings of Christianity and Islam the more I wish I could demonstrate their falsity.

Full: http://www.secweb.org/asset.asp?AssetID=138