[lbo-talk] The Argument from Design and Polytheism

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Dec 13 07:41:07 PST 2004

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com, Mon Dec 13 07:32:17 PST 2004:
>Actuyally it is worse than that. The regress really applies tas an
>objection to the first cause argument more than to the argument from
>design (AD). The AD is susceptible, however to the following
>objection, adapted from Hume.
>
>The AD is an argument from analogy. Just as watches don't just
>happen because they are so complex the odds are impossibly small of
>their parts coming to be and interlocking in the right way by
>chance, so the universe or evolved life forms or whatever is so
>complex, then it must have been designed that way . .
>.
>
>But if the explanation of complexity requires intentional design by
>analogy, intentional design normally occurs with a division of labor
>-- watches are the product of many hands, not one.
>
>So, the universe or evolved life forms must have involved more hands
>than the Manhattan Project. Engineering shops. Mines. Mills.
>Shippers. Warehouses. Unions. Managers. Skilled and unskilled labor.
>(We're talking about the divine, so we will assume that this is a
>cooperative arrangement without bosses, wage-laborers, or celestial
>exploitation.)
>
>Therefore the AD is an argument for polytheism. Do you believe in
>Heiphestos's workshop?
>
>Gimme that old time religion:
>We will pray with Aphrodite
>Cause she wears that see-thru nightie
>And it's good enough for me!
>Gimme that old time religion
>Gimme that old time religion
>Gimme that old time religion
>And it's good enough for me
>
>(A song I heard from Peter Seeger one time.)

I love that! Someone should design a satiric Polytheistic Intelligent Design website, with animation of a dancing Aphrodite in "that see-thru nightie." A lot of monotheists who Google "intelligent design" can happen upon it. :-> -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * "Proud of Britain": <http://www.proudofbritain.net/ > and <http://www.proud-of-britain.org.uk/>