[lbo-talk] The "A" lives, apparently

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 13 08:05:27 PST 2004

I think this is a good argument against the intelligent-design line. Intelligent-Design departs from the classical Christian (and Judaic and Islamic) notion of creation in favor of a mechanistic argument, which falls to this objection.

Stephen Hawking (who BTW led the anti-war demonstration in London on 2 November), Lucasian professor of mathematics at the University of Cambridge (Newton's chair), wrote that after his theoretical labors, "You still have the question: why does the universe bother to exist? If you like, you can define God to be the answer to that question." That's far closer to the classic notion than intelligent-design.

For most Abrahamic theists. "God" is the name for whatever accounts for the fact THAT there is a universe. HOW the universe is, is of course the province of science, and terrible muddles (e.g., the Galileo case) have resulted from confusing those questions. --CGE