[lbo-talk] Re: Diet Pills = Gay Babies . . . Not!

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Mon Dec 13 08:29:20 PST 2004

For somebody who professes to be so deeply and comfortably queer, one wonders why you're so irrational, even paranoid, about this topic.

You talk like queers in the U.S. are being rounded up and sent to concentration camps, when the fact is that attitudes and standards of reaction and treatment have been improving about as rapidly as anybody could expect. OK, the cops in Georgia shut down a nude play. Perhaps not right (though I don't necessarily disagree with the idea of regulating the locations of nude performances), but not exactly the crime of the century.

Meanwhile, you seem oblivious to the extreme danger of your attempt to base your schtick on nature. It is a long-established reactionary trope to argue that the only things that are just are "natural" things. This is a blatant end-run around sociology, democracy, and other vital hard-won elements of decency and rationality. It is also a close cousin of classical racism, which, as you must know, uses biological/natural claims to kick the living shit out of millions of people.

Queer physician, heal thyself.