[lbo-talk] Re: Diet Pills = Gay Babies . . . Not!

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Mon Dec 13 12:50:47 PST 2004

> > . . . when the fact is that attitudes and standards of reaction and
> treatment have been improving about as rapidly as anybody could
> expect.
>
> You keep posting this statement and to be honest I do get your point.
> Is this empty statement supposed to be some sort of palliative?

Yes. And it's not an empty statement.

> > OK, the cops in Georgia shut down a nude play. Perhaps not right
> (though I don't necessarily disagree with the idea of regulating the
> locations of nude performances), but not exactly the crime of the
> century.
>
> So, oppression is not notewrthy unless it rises to the level of a crime
> of the century?

We're not discussing whether your example was noteworthy. We're discussing why you write like queers are being put in concentration camps, and why you label everybody who doesn't agree with your views on the topic a homophobe.

> > Meanwhile, you seem oblivious to the extreme danger of your
> attempt to base your schtick on nature.
>
> My talking about my exeperience of queerness is some comedy
> routine to you?

No. "Schtick" was a poor choice of words. What I'm trying to show you is the self-defeat built into your paranoid, solipsistic style of thinking on this issue.

> > It is a long-established reactionary trope to argue that the only
> things that are just are "natural" things.
>
> I never argued that. I said that since homosex was a natural
> part of human behavior and that it caused no harm, why should
> there be prohibitions against it. I never said that the only just
> things were "natural things." Please don't twist my words to
> make your points.

Then why are you so hostile to somebody suggesting that being gay might sometimes be a matter of socialization and choice?

> So why not use biological/natural claims to help people instead
> of kicking the shit out of them? The claims are neutral. It is the
> uses to which they are put that must be examined. A switchblade
> can kill a person. It can also, in the hands of a skilled surgeon,
> be used to save a person's life when traditional surgical tools
> are unavailable. Same instrument, different purposes which leads
> to different results.

You really haven't thought about this too hard, have you? Biological stories about human group differences have been put to overwhelmingly bad uses. And what would you say to queer folks who prove to lack the purportedly soon-to-be-isolated "gay gene?" Sorry, people, but you aren't truly queer! No marriages for you!