[lbo-talk] The Argument from Design and Polytheism (Was: The "A"lives, apparently

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Dec 13 17:38:46 PST 2004

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 12:54:18 -0800 "Eubulides" <paraconsistent at comcast.net> writes:

> [...]

Well, I think to the extent that such a line of argument would be taken up by a proponent of DA, then that proponent would seem to be leaving behind the reliance upon empirical based analogies which underly most forms of the DA. Most of the appeal of the DA rests with its appeal to the seemingly intuitively obvious analogies such as the analogy between a divine designer and human designers, between the universe conceived of as a designed artifact and the artificacts created by human workmanship. I am not sure that the notion of a metaphysically simple substance to which people like Aquinas, Duns Scotus or Leibniz might appeal to can be grounded in the sorts of empirically based analogies to which the DA appeals to. After all within the realm of human experience, it does seem to be the case that designers, whether humans or even beavers or spiders, do tend to be more complex than the things that they design.

However, if it be granted that God might be a metaphysically simple substance then surely one can ask why can't the universe, taken as a whole, be similarly conceived. After all what are the criteria by which one can judge whether or not a given substance is metaphysically simple or not?