[lbo-talk] Spam questions

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 14 15:46:32 PST 2004

>I've got a question that probably sounds naive, but, what on earth is
>the purpose of spam? And who the fuck produces this shit?
>The volume seemed to take a much steeper increase about two or
>three years ago
>Also it seems to have changed topics over the years. I remember the
>good old days when it was just stupid porn ads. After that it went
>through financial phase with loan-con-jobs and investment schemes. Now
>days it seems cheap drugs from Canada or Mexico are the favored
>themes.
>
>CG

I have wondered how the response rate couldn't be absolutely zero for anything except perhaps porn and off-shore drugs. Who refinances their home with a firm that sends them unwanted garbage? I would like to see the response rates, positive responses, not people responding telling the spammers to go fuck themselves. I know it costs little to produce and send but it still costs something and I have never heard of anyone refinancing a loan because of spam. I would expect that people would go out of their way to avoid doing business with spammers. I noticed a big jump about 18 months ago when my daily spam count went from 1 or 2 to about 8 or 10. If anyone knows where there is any good information of response rates to spam pass it on.

John Thornton