[lbo-talk] Re: Sachs...

Mark S bunyak1 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 14 17:39:14 PST 2004

Chris Doss wrote:

>--- Brad DeLong <jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
>Savings were so large, of course,
> > because there was
> > nothing to buy.
> >

>Nonsense. It is because most things were almost free.

A person who lived in the Soviet Union would be able to answer better but my experience in the FSU in 1992 forces me to agree with Chris. I was a lowly exchange student but I lived like a king there. I ate at restaurants and drank champansky every night. I traveled around the western Soviet Union, from Piter to Yalta, on the weekends. I got my hair styled whenever I felt like it. I bought some fantastic pieces of modern art. Traditional crafts were for sale everywhere. All of this was cheap like borscht. Any Russian with the means could have done all this. Western goods were also available in the state-run hard currency shops and the black markets.

That being said, I don't know who was holding all those savings. Families may have been saving up for a Lada or something. None of the students I met had disposable income. I hung out with the son of a senior Russian diplomat and he had practically no spending money. He survived on his student stipend.

I was struck by how people could be so poor in the Western sense yet could be so rich in other ways. I also hung out with another guy who had a physics degree, spoke three languages, played guitar in a rock band and was a Master of tennis. He also had little spending money. It would have been tough for someone in North America to develop those skills and abilities with no family wealth. That caused some serious cognitive dissonance...

M.

_________________________________________________________________ MSN® Calendar keeps you organized and takes the effort out of scheduling get-togethers. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.