[lbo-talk] Nader: Mom's Recipes, Dad's Sayings

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Dec 15 04:58:15 PST 2004

At 07:13 AM 12/15/2004, Lance Murdoch wrote:
>On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:44:41 -0500, snit snat
><snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > this guy inspires people?
>
>So what do you expect, some inspirational leader to go around the
>country, attacked now not only by the same old crew as last time, but
>by many of the same left-liberals who supported him last time? And to
>have the campaign still in debt afterwards? Who is going to sign up
>for that?

Well, I don't agree with personal attacks, but if someone has an argument for why they think Ralf shouldn't run then, by all means, they should write their editorial or make their speech. It's politics. Ralf should have expected it. He's in debt? No surprise there. So, great, he can sell his mother's cookbook.

>Bill Clinton is inspirational. Ronald Reagan was inspirational. If
>you're looking for style, not substance,

Schhhhhhweetheart, you can have style and substance all in one package. It's not just what you do, dearie, it's also how ya do it. :)

> people like UMW president
>Arnold Miller are not inspirational at all. But I find Nader and
>Miller very inspirational because they said and did all of the right
>things. Who do you find inspirational - John Kerry? Al Gore?

What I've found hard to understand is the seeming star struck quality of some of the support: An unwillingness to be critical at all and a refusal to listen to any criticism. But, I can see why if it's mostly about circling wagons.

It's like I've said before. When a democrap is running, I _expect_ the candidate to lack a structural analysis of race/gender/class. I expect a democrap to be the leader of Empire and say and do all the things one does as the leader of empire. When people hold Ralf up as a leftist leader, I look for someone with a leftist analysis. Ralf doesn't do it for me. I'll never vote for the guy again, not after what I learned about him this year.

kelley

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling