[lbo-talk] Spam Rage Leads To Resignation

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 15 09:05:58 PST 2004

13 December 2004 Spam rage causes radio reporter to lose her job

Reporter Rachel Buchman has resigned from her job at WHYY-FM in Philadelphia.

A Philadelphia radio reporter has quit her job after leaving an angry voicemail with an online lobbying group she believed were spamming her.

27-year-old Rachel Buchman, a freelance reporter for WHYY-FM in Philadelphia, said she became increasingly incensed by what she believed to be unsolicited junk emails from conservative organisation laptoplobbyist.com.

Buchman gave her work number at WHYY-FM in the voicemail message, which led laptoplobbyist.com to learn that she was a radio reporter there.

Buchman's voicemail message has been published on laptoplobbyist.com's website and says:

"Hi, my name is Rachel, and my telephone number is [number]. I wanted to tell you that you're evil, horrible people. You're awful people. You represent horrible ideas. God hates you and he wants to kill your children. You should all burn in hell. Bye."

Buchman apologised for what she said in the voicemail, and has since left her job at the Philadelphia National Public Radio affiliate.

"Spam rage is becoming an increasing problem, as more and more people get hot under the collar because of the tidalwave of spam arriving in their inboxes," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant for Sophos. "Everybody should keep their cool, and follow best practice to avoid their email address falling into the hands of spammers and run good anti-spam software to protect their computers."

from --

<http://www.snpx.com/cgi-bin/news5.cgi?target=www.newsnow.co.uk/cgi/NGoto/79055819?-2622